Ranking Everything We Read This Year

Zev M-M

For what probably is my last post ever on this blog, I want to take a look back at what we’ve read this year in Language and Literature. This post will be somewhat of a book review combined with a ranking list. Remember that everything I say about these books (and other types of writing) is my opinion. I am not ranking them based on how well written they are, but simply how much I enjoyed them. I may have forgotten something we read, so if you notice anything missing from the list, or if you disagree with my rankings, please let me know in the comments.
Honorable Mention: The blogs. I have really enjoyed writing these blogs and there have been some posts from others that are well written and engaging. It was fun coming up with ideas and sharing them with other people, and a lot of the posts were genuinely interesting to read. Still, I couldn’t realistically rank any of our writings above the professional texts we read.
6) Poems: While I really liked some of these poems we read, there were others that I just found confusing. Although I appreciate the work put into all the minute details of a poem, I just don’t find most of them enjoyable to read. My favorite poems we read this school year were “Ozymandias,” “Thou Art Indeed Just, Lord,” and Shakspeare’s Sonnets 18, 130, and 138. Also, I really enjoyed the assignment where we wrote our own poems.

5) The Scarlet Letter: This book got better as I read it, mostly because I became more familiar with the writing style.  Still, the excessively long sentences seemed to get in the way of the plot, and I’m not smart enough to appreciate the style. The other elements of the story like the characters and plot were good, but in my opinion, they didn’t make up for the negatives. I can understand why this book is considered so good, but it’s not a book I would read for fun. 

4) Short stories: Similar to poems, this is a broad category. I was planning on ranking these lower, but as I looked back at the stories, I was surprised by how many I remember. Though most of the stories were weird, I find it interesting that I could remember a two page story as well as a two hundred page book. I don’t have favorites, but some of the stories I found most memorable were: “A&P,” “This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona,””Dead Man's Path,” “Interpreter of Maladies,” and “The Tell-Tale Heart.”

3) If I Ever Get Out Of Here: I will admit I forget some of the details of this book, but I do remember that I liked it. The characters were well developed, the story was unique, and the plot was varied and engaging. I liked the connections to music and pop culture and the contrasts between the different settings. The reservation, the school, and George’s house all seemed like different stories that twisted together in interesting ways. The road trip and the snowstorm added action to the story. I really liked the fast pace of this book; a lot happened in a short time. This is the book that I would be most likely to pick up and read on my own.

2) Purple Hibiscus: It was a tossup between Purple Hibiscus and If I Ever Get Out Of Here for second place. Ultimately, I felt that Purple Hibiscus was more memorable. Despite it being the second book we read this year, I feel like I still remember most of the book in good detail. This book was interesting to talk about because of all the complex characters and scenarios. The story itself was gripping and despite some of the heavy topics, it was still enjoyable to read.

1) Midsummer Night's Dream: We haven’t finished this story yet, and it seems hypocritical to rank it first when I complained about poetry and Hawthorne’s sentences. Despite the poetic sentences, I think that this story is still fast-moving and interesting, and the extended similes and metaphors are fun to read. I feel that the long sentences are not necessary, but are justified given the nuance they add. Ultimately, I just enjoy the story. 

Comments

  1. This was a cool blog post. Writing about the books we all read was a good idea as we can all now share our opinions (instead of writing about one book that most people may not have read). I liked how you gave some insight on why you chose the order of your rankings, though I do disagree with a few. For one, I would push the short stories back to 5th place, If I Ever Get Out of Here to 4th, and The Scarlet Letter to 3rd. This is only because I thought the storyline of Scarlet Letter was pretty interesting (though I do agree the prose was difficult to understand). Besides that, I agree with your ranking of Purple Hibiscus and Midsummer Night's Dream. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a cool post, and a good idea for a last post. I generally agree with your order, although I think I would personally switch The Scarlet Letter and Short Stories, and Purple Hibiscus and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Nice job, and I'm going to miss reading your non-book-review posts every month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great final post! I definitely think this was a great idea to round off the class by ranking everything we read. I like how you supported each of your rankings and compared them to each other. The only thing I would change about this list would be to move The Scarlet Letter to 4th and Short Stories to 5th. Otherwise, I agree with your list. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! I agree with most of this list, but I would probably rank Purple Hibiscus first and Midsummer Night's Dream second because, although Midsummer Night's Dream was fun to read, Purple Hibiscus was more memorable for me. The only other thing I would change is I would switch Scarlet Letter with Short Stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a cool and interesting post! I can understand a lot of your placements here and I agree that, while the scarlet letter was good, it definitely isn't something I would read for fun. Other than that I would bump scarlet letter up to 4th or even 3rd simply for fact of Dimmesdale's greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great idea for the last post of the year! There were some of your rankings I disagreed with, such as our The Scarlet Letter being so low and Midsummer Night's Dream being the top book. Also I would argue that some of our blogs that I enjoy reading much more than a few of the things on this list. Overall, though, a good blog post to end the year and may many bolognas fall around you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a really fun blog idea! I agree with a lot of your choices, although I would have probably ranked If I Ever Get Out of Here lower, since it I didn’t find it as memorable and interesting as most of the other literature we read, and (controversially I think) The Scarlet Letter higher, since, despite it having some slower parts, I felt like the descriptions of the characters and settings were really vivid and well-written. Also, it was a while ago, but I’m curious how you would rank all the excerpts we read for our Reader’s Autobiography preparation. Overall, this was a really nice end-of-the-year blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked reading this post and I appreciate that you gave a lot of reasoning for your rankings. For me, Purple Hibiscus would probably take first place even though Midsummer Night's Dream was good too, because it had a really well-developed story and characters. I agree that If I Ever Get Out of Here is the book that would be most appealing to people reading for fun, and I think your ranking for it is accurate. I probably would put The Scarlet Letter above the short stories as well. But this was a really good idea for a post that was engaging to read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Books vs. Screenplays

Death and Texas - A Review of Stranger Than Fiction (screenplay)