Pi Poems

Zev McManus-Mendelowitz
Though I am generally disdainful of book reviews, I feel that one is warranted for the book I am currently reading. Here’s looking at Euclid, by Alex Bellos is a nonfiction book about the wonders of math. Though none of the math is particularly complex or difficult to understand, the book is surprisingly varied and interesting. Some highlights include looking at the history of our counting system and the evolution of calculators. The book was easy to read and my only complaint was that some sections lacked depth and were over-simplistic. The most exciting aspect of this book, in my opinion, was mentioned for only a brief paragraph. Pi poems, poems in which each word has a number of letters that equals the corresponding digit of pi (the first word has 3 letters, the next has 1, the next has 4, etc…), are an interesting type of poetry that I feel are under-appreciated.
Though initially I was excited at the prospect of writing my own pi poem, once I started to write my poem, I realized how difficult it would be. The most annoying aspect of writing the poem is how long it takes to find each individual word, although on the bright side it means less for you guys to suffer through reading. Though I would consider my poems somewhat of a failure, I thought I’d share them anyways. Despite the difficulty, writing the poems was still enjoyable and I would recommend everyone trying it. If you would like, you can try to format your comment as a pi poem. I would be very impressed.

Here is my first unfortunate attempt at a pi poem (this one represents pi to 73 digits): 

Zev, M: Poem
I write patiently to create words
The words resemble scenarios
Opening: Alexander, his pa, his brothers.
They depart to travel over all the universe
Pie is limited, apologies about an advanced (peculiar) word.
I presently prepare a finish.
Everybody, all contained, traveling. 
The vehicle lands.
A large squirrel is wandering
Quickly, they assembled back into their sanctuary
Pa: The journey, matching a stupid poem, happened to be a failure (Ironic).

Here is my second attempt at a pi poem:

Pie, a poem.
A yummy something to ingest daily
The sweet, colorful, palatable, filling.
Obviously one-- no, the tastiest part. 
Desire to devour isn’t the one function.
The pi assists important stuff.
To generate accurate math. 

Here is (some of) a very good pi poem that also happens to be a pastiche of Edgar Allen Poe. It is just one of Mike Keith’s works in this style and stretches 740 digits.

Poe, E. : Near a Raven
Midnights so dreary, tired and weary
    Silently pondering volumes extolling all by-now obsolete lore.
During my rather long nap - the weirdest tap!
    An ominous vibrating sound disturbing my chamber's antedoor.
        "This", I whispered quietly, "I ignore".
Perfectly, the intellect remembers: the ghostly fires, a glittering ember.
    Inflamed by lightning's outbursts, windows cast penumbras upon this floor.
Sorrowful, as one mistreated, unhappy thoughts I heeded:
    That inimitable lesson in elegance - Lenore -
        Is delighting, exciting...nevermore.
Ominously, curtains parted (my serenity outsmarted),
    And fear overcame my being - the fear of "forevermore".
Fearful foreboding abided, selfish sentiment confided,
    As I said, "Methinks mysterious traveler knocks afore.
        A man is visiting, of age threescore."
Taking little time, briskly addressing something: "Sir," (robustly)
    "Tell what source originates clamorous noise afore?
Disturbing sleep unkindly, is it you a-tapping, so slyly?
    Why, devil incarnate!--" Here completely unveiled I my antedoor--
        Just darkness, I ascertained - nothing more.
While surrounded by darkness then, I persevered to clearly comprehend.
    I perceived the weirdest dream...of everlasting "nevermores".
Quite, quite, quick nocturnal doubts fled - such relief! - as my intellect said,
    (Desiring, imagining still) that perchance the apparition was uttering a whispered "Lenore".
        This only, as evermore.
Silently, I reinforced, remaining anxious, quite scared, afraid,
    While intrusive tap did then come thrice - O, so stronger than sounded afore.
"Surely" (said silently) "it was the banging, clanging window lattice."
    Glancing out, I quaked, upset by horrors hereinbefore,
        Perceiving: a "nevermore".
Completely disturbed, I said, "Utter, please, what prevails ahead.
    Repose, relief, cessation, or but more dreary 'nevermores'?"
The bird intruded thence - O, irritation ever since! -
    Then sat on Pallas' pallid bust, watching me (I sat not, therefore),
        And stated "nevermores".
Bemused by raven's dissonance, my soul exclaimed, "I seek intelligence;
    Explain thy purpose, or soon cease intoning forlorn 'nevermores'!"
"Nevermores", winged corvus proclaimed - thusly was a raven named?
    Actually maintain a surname, upon Pluvious seashore?
        I heard an oppressive "nevermore".
My sentiments extremely pained, to perceive an utterance so plain,
    Most interested, mystified, a meaning I hoped for.
"Surely," said the raven's watcher, "separate discourse is wiser.
    Therefore, liberation I'll obtain, retreating heretofore -
        Eliminating all the 'nevermores' ".
Still, the detestable raven just remained, unmoving, on sculptured bust.
    Always saying "never" (by a red chamber's door).
A poor, tender heartache maven - a sorrowful bird - a raven!
    O, I wished thoroughly, forthwith, that he'd fly heretofore.
        Still sitting, he recited "nevermores".
The raven's dirge induced alarm - "nevermore" quite wearisome.
    I meditated: "Might its utterances summarize of a calamity before?"
O, a sadness was manifest - a sorrowful cry of unrest;
    "O," I thought sincerely, "it's a melancholy great - furthermore,
        Removing doubt, this explains 'nevermores' ".
Seizing just that moment to sit - closely, carefully, advancing beside it,
    Sinking down, intrigued, where velvet cushion lay afore.
A creature, midnight-black, watched there - it studied my soul, unawares.
    Wherefore, explanations my insight entreated for.
        Silently, I pondered the "nevermores".
"Disentangle, nefarious bird! Disengage - I am disturbed!"
    Intently its eye burned, raising the cry within my core.
"That delectable Lenore - whose velvet pillow this was, heretofore,
    Departed thence, unsettling my consciousness therefore.
        She's returning - that maiden - aye, nevermore."
Since, to me, that thought was madness, I renounced continuing sadness.
    Continuing on, I soundly, adamantly forswore:
"Wretch," (addressing blackbird only) "fly swiftly - emancipate me!"
    "Respite, respite, detestable raven - and discharge me, I implore!"
        A ghostly answer of: "nevermore".
" 'Tis a prophet? Wraith? Strange devil? Or the ultimate evil?"
    "Answer, tempter-sent creature!", I inquired, like before.
"Forlorn, though firmly undaunted, with 'nevermores' quite indoctrinated,
    Is everything depressing, generating great sorrow evermore?
        I am subdued!", I then swore.
In answer, the raven turned - relentless distress it spurned.
    "Comfort, surcease, quiet, silence!" - pleaded I for.
"Will my (abusive raven!) sorrows persist unabated?
    Nevermore Lenore respondeth?", adamantly I encored.
        The appeal was ignored.
"O, satanic inferno's denizen -- go!", I said boldly, standing then.
    "Take henceforth loathsome "nevermores" - O, to an ugly Plutonian shore!
Let nary one expression, O bird, remain still here, replacing mirth.
    Promptly leave and retreat!", I resolutely swore.

        Blackbird's riposte: "nevermore".

Comments

  1. Strange, but a super fun and interesting concept! I've never seen a pi poem before and it was really fun to read your poem. I like how a lot of it doesn't really make much sense, but to me, it doesn't really matter since I'm just thinking about how amazing and crazy it is that you made a pi poem. This was a blog that I got really engaged in and I think it's pretty cool. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to write a pi poem for this comment but it was too difficult. I think it was really cool that you were able to write one. Overall this was an interesting, unique post. I have never heard about pi poems before I read this post, so thank you for enlightening me. I also liked how you included the poem written by a professional poet, but I still think yours was better. (Okay, maybe not.) Still, great post, and it was definitely an improvement on your last post (no offense).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a new and interesting idea and i enjoyed your showing of this cool type of poem. I think its impressive someone could make a poem stretching 740 digits and i'm sure that must have taken a long time. I always enjoy blogs that try to show new ideas instead of just book reports and this one is not exception. Good job and I hope you keep up showing us new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting book review, also reading that poem was time consuming and I did not enjoy it very much, but that's ok. I also wonder how you don't get extremely bored while reading a book about as I see a 45 minute math class period as eternal torture. This was an extremely interesting take on the classic "book review" so many others have put forward for their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although it took me longer than it should have taken me to read through your pi poems, I think this is one of the better blogs I have read. It is unique and not just another run off the mill book review and it actually has some personality. I especially liked the part where you wrote your own pi poem because it shows that you actually put in some effort into writing you review. My only question is how did you enjoy a book about math? After all, Ms. Smith told me math is not supposed to be fun after I flunked a math test so I know from a first hand experience that enjoying anything math related is unnatural. Anyways, I thought this was a good thoughtful review so props to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was interesting. I appreciate the effort it took to write these pi poems because of all the complaining you were doing while trying to write them. The poems don't really make much sense, but I guess that's to be expected with all of the restraints placed on the making of the poems. I agree with pretty much all the other comments in wondering how you enjoyed a math book, but hey, I don't judge, I only think you are very strange. Many bolognas to you...?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Books vs. Screenplays

Death and Texas - A Review of Stranger Than Fiction (screenplay)

Ranking Everything We Read This Year