Shakespearean Insults

Zev McManus
After researching Shakespearean insults for our insult battle in Mrs. Rodem’s class, I was impressed by how easily one could get away with obscene and inappropriate language simply by quoting Shakespeare. In the chart below, I collected my favorite insults, along with a modern-day translation. Some of these insults may make certain people uncomfortable, so you may not want to read this if you’re easily offended. There is profanity, but please don’t get mad, as I am just quoting Shakspere. Feel free to comment with insults of your own.


Insult
Where it’s from
Meaning/Translation 
“A most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.”

All’s Well That Ends Well (Act 3, Scene 6)
You are a coward, a liar; you break your promises and don’t have a single good quality.
“I must tell you friendly in your ear, sell when you can, you are not for all markets.”

As You Like It (Act 3 Scene 5)
I hate to tell you, but grab the first partner you can; you’re not particularly attractive. 
“I’ll beat thee, but I would infect my hands.”

Timon of Athens (Act 4, Scene 3)
I would hit you, but it would infect my hands.
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that roasted Manningtree ox with pudding in his belly, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Henry IV Part 1 (Act 2, Scene 4)
Do you mean that moody, obese glutton, that old sinner,  that father of all scoundrels!
“Thou sodden-witted lord! Thou hast no more brain than I have in mine elbows “

Troilus and Cressida (Act 2, Scene 1)
You’re stupid. I have more brain in my elbows than you have in your head.
No longer from head to foot than from hip to hip. She is spherical, like a globe. I could find out countries in her.
The Comedy of Errors (Act 3, Scene 2)
She is super fat, so fat that she is shaped like a globe. She is wider than she is tall.
“You are as a candle, the better burnt out.”
Henry IV Part 2 (Act 1, Scene 2)
The world would be better without you.
Your abilities are too infant-like for doing much alone. 
Coriolanus (Act 2, Scene 1)

You are like a baby; you can’t do anything on your own.

If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt.
Two Gentlemen of Verona (Act 2, Scene 4)

I am much smarter and wittier than you.
Thou whoreson zed, thou unnecessary letter! 
King Lear (Act 2, Scene 2)
You are like the letter Z, completely useless.
I do desire that we may be better strangers.
As You Like It (Act 3, Scene 2)
I don’t want to know you
Thou art a boil, a plague sore, an embossed carbuncle in my corrupted blood.
King Lear (Act 2, Scene 4)
You are like a plague in my life.
Thou art a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy worsted-stocking knave; a lily-liver’d, action-taking, whoreson, glass-gazing, superserviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pandar, and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch. 
King Lear (Act 2, Scene 2)
You are a low, cowardly, flattering, self-serving, arrogant jerk.
Less witty insults


-Villain, I have done thy mother. 
-Away, you three-inch fool!
-What an ass!
-What a thrice-double ass! 
-Titus Andronicus (Act 4, Scene 2)
 -The Taming of the Shrew (Act 4, Scene 1)
-Hamlet (Act 2, Scene 2)
-The Tempest (Act 5, Scene 1)
-I slept with your mom

-Go away you tiny penis fool.
-What a donkey
-What a bunch of donkey

Comments

  1. This was a very helpful article. Now, whenever I need to know the exact instance to call someone entirely useless, I can just shout "Thou whoreson zed, thou unnecessary letter!" at them. I feel like this is very applicable to life. Didn't you write like an entire essay worth of insults to have an insult duel against Theodore or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious. My favorite is probably “You are as a candle, the better burnt out." Which one's yours?
    Also I'm pretty sure everyone has heard this at some point but: "Villain, I have done thy mother" -- the first "your mom" joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. The best one in my opinion is, "I’ll beat thee, but I would infect my hands." Now I can use this insult for someone, and if they ask, I'll just say I'm quoting Shakespeare. Thank you for this wonderful blog post. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done a great service to humanity and our class by providing us with these wonderful insults. I still remember the day (and have the argument recorded) when you and Theodore had a Shakespearean insult battle during Uni Period. Those were the days. Anyway, very good job on this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an invaluable resource, Zev. Whenever I want to call someone something bad without getting in trouble, I can consult this and just say I'm quoting Shakespeare. My personal favorite was "I do desire that we may be better strangers" because it could be applied to many situations. This blog post deserves (time to rip off Benji) to earn you a long shower in bologna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! This article was a fun change from a typical book review format, and you did a good job "translating" the insults, which can be pretty hard to do with language like Shakespeare. Overall, this was a really creative and well-executed idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading this was hilarious! It's hard to imagine that in this time, stuff like this was common, and it's very funny to look at the wording of all of the insults. Some of them are also just so absurd, and my favorite one is, "Thou whoreson zed, thou unnecessary letter!" translating to "You are like the letter Z, completely useless." It is such a strange thing to make an insult about, but it really shows the creativity of the people that wrote them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, nay, every single living being on this planet would like to give you a spectacular round of applause for the incredible gift you have blessed to not only English speakers but every single living breathing being on this vast and incredible planet. Not only will everyone have the perfect Shakespearean slander for the correct occasion they won't have to deal with pesky modern language when doing so. I hope you accept every single Nobel prize there is for you contributions to our very existence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was hilarious, and I'm impressed that you took insults out of many other books rather than just the one we had read as a class last year. This was a nice breather from the other book reviews and will probably come in handy the next time I talk to my sisters. I think I'll even give King Lear a shot, just for Act 2 Scene 2. I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was an extremely entertaining post to read and I liked how you found other insults apart from the ones that were used last year. I also liked how you separated some of the "less witty" insults from the more offensive ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Books vs. Screenplays

Death and Texas - A Review of Stranger Than Fiction (screenplay)

Ranking Everything We Read This Year