A Review of The Da Vinci Code

Many of you have probably read, watched, or at least heard of The Da Vinci Code. It is a mystery thriller written by best-selling author Dan Brown. It follows a Harvard professor of art history and "symbology" named Robert Langon (a recurring character in Brown's books) as he attempts to solve a murder and take on perhaps the most famous treasure hunt in the history of humankind - the search for the Holy Grail.

The story begins in the Louvre one night when a curator, Jacques Saunière, is shot and killed. The police find his body naked in the pose of the Vitruvian Man with a pentacle drawn on his chest in blood. Utterly confused, they call in Langdon, who is already in Paris for a talk, as well as a young cryptographer named Sophie Neveu. Neveu secretly informs Langdon that the police actually brought him in because they suspect him of murdering Saunière.

Hiding from the police in the Louvre, Neveu and Langdon start to follow the trail of clues that begin at Saunière's body. Their adventure brings them all over Paris and beyond. The pair uncover not-so-hidden information about the history of Christianity and the Holy Grail, as well as buried family secrets. They find out about the secret organization that killed Saunière on their hunt for the Holy Grail, as well as the group Saunière was a part of whose life work it is to protect the Holy Grail.

The Da Vinci Code is one of the most brilliant mysteries I have ever read. Not only is it the story of a great treasure hunt with many twists and turns, but it contains a lot of fascinating information about the history of Christianity that will blow your mind. At times the book can be slow, but the need to figure out the mystery keeps the pages turning. Some of the twists may be predictable, but there is always some aspect you haven't figured out. And, like any good book, there is a romantic story line that everyone but the characters can see clearly. Overall, the few drawbacks should not dissuade anyone from reading The Da Vinci Code. (Also, for anyone who reads the paper version, look for the bold text on the book jacket for a great Easter egg.)

-Aditi Adve

Comments

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. I haven't yet read the book but I liked how summarized the plot in a captivating way. I tend to really enjoy mysteries, especially if they are presented to the reader well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This sounds like a really interesting historical mystery! I liked that you mentioned a lot of specific aspects of the story that you liked, and your discussion of the book's historical aspect, unpredictability (I think that's a word?), and even hidden Easter eggs all made me excited to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This review was good in that it got across a lot of information in a short amount of time. The first two paragraphs were extremely captivating, and from the review, it sounds as if the book will have that same effect. It’s been a while since I’ve read a mystery, but this one seems interesting in the way that it combines a fictional story with factual information about the history of Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great well-rounded review! Mystery is one of my favorite subjects, and if the book is as good as you said it is, I can't wait to read it in the future. I love a good book with a twist ending and surprising aspects stories. I'm also very interested in the history aspect of the story about the Holy Grail. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review.This sounds like a really interesting historical mystery! It’s been a while since I’ve read a mystery, but this one seems interesting in the way that it combines a fictional story with factual information about the history of Christianity. I can't wait to read it in the future. I love a good book with a twist ending and surprising aspects stories. I'm also very interested in the history aspect of the story about the Holy Grail. Thanks for your review!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this review is pretty good. You described the book well, while commenting on the parts that were exciting, mysterious, and interesting. I enjoyed the way you described and reviewed the book. It gave me a deeper understanding of what the book is actually about. Even though mystery books aren't really my thing, this review was very descriptive and interesting. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched part of the movie once, though I don't remember most of it. I was mostly drawn to your review because of a Criminal Minds episode where the killer believed he was in the Da Vinci code, but that's not important. I've always generally been drawn to mysteries that manage to explain a fantastical approach about popular religious figures and mysteries. I think I'll definitely check this one out and obsess over it with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Books vs. Screenplays

Death and Texas - A Review of Stranger Than Fiction (screenplay)

Ranking Everything We Read This Year